Millions of girls aren’t at school today. They are shut out of education because of discrimination, poverty, emergencies and culture.
These girls have the same hopes and dreams as boys. They want to learn fulfil their potential, work and help their families and communities.
But too often they are treated as second -class. They are exploited abused and simply disregarded in many parts of the country.
Figures from UNICEF last year showed that about 82 million girls of primary school age and 29 million of lower secondary school age are not getting an education and the reason for that is the girls are not able to feel comfortable worry-free, stress-free, enjoyable etc. in school.
Causes of Girls feel Uncomfortable in Schools
- Lack of girls schools- Some of the girls do not want to study with the boys, they want to study in the girls school itself. They feel uncomfortable sitting with boys.
- Lack of female teachers- Some girls feel uncomfortable from male teachers.
- Exploitation by male teachers- Girls are exploited in various ways by some male teachers in schools. Such incidents are often seen in rural and remote areas, most of the girls are physically exploited by some male teachers. So girls feel uncomfortable a at school.
- During menstruation – During adolescence and the commencement of menstruation, girls in school face a variety of problems.,Napkins and toilets during menstruation are not available in some schools.
- School away from colony- Schools away from colony is also a reason to disrupt the education of girls. Girls are the victims of molestation at schools.
- Negligency feeling – Gender discrimination is also seen in school. Special attention is given by teachers to the education and progress of boys while education of girls not.Girls feels neglected in school.
- Fear of Punishment – Survey conducted in Tharkh and, Bihar and up towards ‘Plan India’, in this research on an average 55% girls dropped t from school due to the fear of punishment.
- Lack of Basic resources – Basic resources means furniture, playground, ventilated room, bound of school Glchicity, clean drinking water,toilets, etc. lack of these resources makes girls feel uncomfortable.
- Fear of anti-social elements – Due to the densele populated school, the girl students feel more uncomfortable, as they have to go to school through dense settlements. Sometimes anti-social elements also enter the school.
- Lack of safety – Lack of security in schools creates an atmosphere of fear in the stude the students feel insecure and start leaving a school.