Patriarcht refers to a social system in which males hold primary power. In domain of family father holds authority over childrens and womens.
Patriarchy literally means the ‘rule of father’
Characteristics of Patriarchy
- The focal point of this system is Men.
- In this system man make decisions at home and outside.
- Discrimination between boys and girls done by this system.
- Men are at the center of socio-economic, cultural , political activities.
Demerits of patrirachy
- Patriarchy also places expectations on boys/men too and limits their choices and expressions – boys find it hard to choose to be dancers, musicians, cooks or tailors.
- They get pushed into being ‘muscular’ and ‘macho’men.
- Even today, in our society there is a “son preference’ for various reasons.
- Oppression of women.
- Wasted potential of women.
- Enhances gender issues (Gender based Violence: If gender is a social construct, then men are not born violent and aggressive. It is faulty socialization and upbringing that promotes a macho image).
- Patriarchy disadvantages women but it also brings a set of behavioural norms and responsibilities that hinders men from expressing their pressures to perform in adherence with traditional notions of masculinity.
Merits of Patrirachy
- Disadvantages for women can be advantages for men.
- Men are more likely to be hired, promoted, and paid more for the same jobs than women.
- Reasons for not hiring women…..
- The leader of the family is already decided so there is no dispute and questions about who rules .
- In this system no burden of leadership or responsibility given to women so that they can focus on their primary responsibilities of nourishing children.
- Many women feel valued for their unit contribution in Patriarchic system.
- A male is the only head who gives direction to the family members and encourage them to serve others.