- Shams-ud-din Iltutmish was the founder of the Delhi Sultanate. Shams-ud din Iltutmish was the third ruler of the Slave dynasty. He founded the Delhi Sultanate in 1211 and received the Caliph’s investiture in his rule. He conquered Multan and Bengal from contesting rulers, and Ranathambhore and Siwalik from the Hindu rulers.
- He shifted capital from Lahore to Delhi, remained the ruler until his death on May 1, 1236.
Who was Iltutmish ?
Iltutmish was born on 30 April 1236. He was a handsome and a intellegent boy. Iltutmish was sold into slavery by his brother.Father of iltutmish was ILam Khan. Later he was sold to many masters at Jamaluddin sold Iltutmish to Qutab ali din for 100,000 Jitals.
Iltutmish as ruler-
Iltutmish was sold to Qutab-ali-din who was the slave of Mohm-Gauri and after the death of Gauri of Qutab ali din become the sultan and rule of him was short between 1206-1210 after than his son Aram-Shah become the sultan. This becoming Aram-Shah as a sultan was didn’t accepted like salve of Gauri become sultan so, he as a slave of Qutab-ali-din wants of become sultan and he fought the battle Battle of Jood where Aram-Shah was defeated by Iltutmish was also called slave of slave.
Achievements of Iltutmish-
- Iltutmish started two coins Jeetal (Copper) and Taka (Gold) current currency of Bangladesh.
- Iltutmish started IKTA system. Ikta system was a unique type of land distribution and administrative system introduced during the reign of Iltutmish. In the Iqta system the lands of the Delhi Sultanate were divided into several large and small tracts called Iqta and assigned these Iqtas to the Sultan’s soldiers, officers and nobles.
- Created TURKAN-I-CHAHALGANI of 40 most trusted people they have equal powers same as wazir they also decide who become next sultan.
- Several muslim officers denied to accept the authority of Iltutmish.
- Iltutmish re-asserted Delhi’s control over Banaras,Badaun and Siwalik in a series of campains.
- Ghivasuddin Ilnaj Shah accepted the authority of Iltutmish.
- Iltutmish captured The Ranthambore Fort, Fort of Mandore in Rajasthan.
- In 1215 3rd: Battle of Tarain was fought between TAJ-AL-DIN-YILDIZ and Iltutmish & between Iltutmish and Qabacha both are other slaves both was defeated by Iltutmish.
Constructions by Iltutmish-
- He also completed the construction of the Qutb Minar, which had been started by Qutb al-din Aibak.
- HAUZ-I-SHAMSI PAVILLION- is like a water resiourviour.
- GANDHK KI BHAOLI
- SULTAN GHARI is made over Hindu Tempel made by Gurjar Parihara.
Death of Iltutmish-
- IN 1236, ILTUTMISH FELL ILL AND RETURNED TO DELHI ON 20 APRIL.
- HE DIED SHORTLY AFTER,ON 30 APRIL 1236.
- HE WAS BURIED IN THE QUTB COMPLEX IN MEHRAULI.
- HE WANTED NASIRUDDIIII MAHMUD AS HIS SUCCESSOR, BUT NASIRUDDIN DIED UNEXPECTEDLY IN 1229.