Main Sources of Ancient History are-
- Foreign Accounts
- Literary Sources -
- The Vedas- (Rigveda, Yajurveda, Saamveda, Atharvaveda.)
- The Upanishdas
- The Ramayana
- The Mahabharata
- The Writings of Jain’s and Buddhist
2. Writings of Foreigner Travelers
- Ancient Greek and Roman Historians wrote about India.
- Chadrgupta Maruya’s victory over Greek we know this from the writings of Greek Travelers.
- The Greek ambassador Megasthenes wrote his famous work Indika.
- Al Beruni came to India in the time of Mahmud of Ghazani his literature’Hind’ give useful information.
- Archaeological Sources -
Archaeological remains –
Ancient structure, remains recovered are major archaelogical sources found. Archaeological sources give us knowledege about life on ancient people .India has many remains of ancient structures. Many historical structures still not discovered. The ancient remains found from many historical sites like-
Gives us knowledge about the existence of The Indus valley Civilization.
Research and Recovery are still going on-
Monuments are sources of History .Which tells us about the living condition of people in ancient time.
Historical Monuments like-
- Monasteries-Hemis Monastery, Tabo Monastery, Tawang Monastery, Shashur Monastery
- Temples- Dasavathara Temple by Guptas, Shore Temple-Kailashanatha Temple- VaikunthaPerumal Temple by Narasimha 2, Mahabodi Temple by Palas, Meenakshi Temple by Trimula Nayak.
- Forts- Mehrangarh Fort, Bhatner Fort, Red Fort, Chittor Fort.
- Stupas– Sanchi Stupa by Ashoka, Bharhut Stupa by Sungas, Amaravathi Stupa by Satavahanas, Peshawar Stupa by Kanishka.
- Coins -
Coins of copper ,gold and silver werealso found in diffrent parts of country which provide us usefull information.Coins have dates,names and figures of Gods.Which help us to find names of rulers and various dates.Coins tells us about the economic conditons based on coins materia they are made of iron or gold.etc Figures of gods tells us about their religion and tells about their dress.